Some days, when there is not a lot to do in the studio during the show, I get to sit in the Control Room with our Producer, Megan, and call out cues throughout to the hosts. Each host -- Nicea, Gretchen, and Troy -- have an IFB in their ear that they can hear the Producer through. This is important because the Producer tells them how much time they have left, if there is something they are forgetting, last minute information, and anything else that they need to know during the show.
When I am in the booth with Megan she lets me call out the cues which is pretty awesome. I talk directly to the hosts and call out everything that I mentioned above. The producer also times the show to make sure that it doesn't go over or under the time allotted for Good Things Utah between 9am and 10am. If the show goes over, it will be cut off by whatever programming is on next. If the show goes under, viewers are disappointed because they are expecting an hour long show. It is the Producer's job to fill time or cut content and when I am in the booth, those decisions are mine.
When I first had the opportunity to do it, I was terrified! The timing of the show was on me and it was my responsibility to keep the hosts on task. Megan was there for support, but she threw me right into it. I learned a lot and I have continued to learn each time I am in the booth.
As you can see from the pictures, there are quite a few monitors that are split up into sections so that the Producer and the Director can see what is going on everywhere -- from each camera to the computer that the Producer controls to other programming that is going on -- the control room has it all.
So many monitors!
Timing the show on the Producer computer.
Selfie wearing the Producer headset.
No comments:
Post a Comment